The Student News Site of Woodlands Academy

The Plaid

The Plaid

The Plaid

The Plaid

Follow Us on Twitter

Riding the Storm: A Look at Global Disasters in 2023

Biggest word disasters within the past year

The year 2023 has revealed a series of natural disasters universally,  elucidating the pressing issue of climate change and global problems. These unwanted occurrences ignite debates about how to handle the climate crisis and what the potential solutions are. Based on the past few years, especially in 2023,  environmental catastrophes have not subsided. If anything, they appear to be exacerbating.  It is scientifically proven that the Earth’s surface temperature is warming, yet impactful resolutions have yet to be made. Looking back on the past year, the world’s natural disasters emphasize the necessity of regaining control of our planet before it becomes damaged beyond repair. From wildfires to hurricanes and floods, the Earth has faced a lot of damage, affecting many communities negatively, harming the health of humans and animals, and preventing access to resources.   

One of the biggest disasters that North America faced this year was the Canadian Wildfires, beginning in May and charring over 37 million acres of forested land. In fact, it has been named the worst wildfire season on record for Canada. British Columbia, in particular, took the biggest hit from the raging fires.  Thousands of people had to evacuate their homes, and the air quality in Canada and parts of the United States became severely polluted. For instance, on June 7th, New York City’s air quality index reached 342, which indicates very hazardous conditions. This was a record-high AQI (air quality index) level for pollution in New York. Chicago also became blanketed by smoke in mid-June, reaching AQIs of over 200,  along with other midwestern cities such as Detroit. I conducted an interview with my Aunt, who lives in downtown Chicago on Lakeshore Drive, about her experiences. She revealed valuable insight on her observations of the effects the air pollution had on this major city. “Everything was extremely foggy, I could barely see some buildings just a few blocks down. There were much fewer people outdoors. I think it was the spookiest that I’ve seen Chicago, I had never seen it so clouded over.”  I then asked what differences she noticed in people’s behaviors and how she continued working. “Well, I always drive to work, and I remember the streets being much more empty that week. No one wanted to walk around and breathe in the air. Some people wore masks over their faces, yet it appeared that most continued going to work and school, as far as I am aware.” I then asked her opinion on the cause of the fires. “I know Canadian fires happen annually, but they seem to be getting worse with time. I do not doubt it is due to the planet’s excessive heat.” Indeed, wildfires occur there yearly, but nothing as intense as this year has been recorded, leaving firefighters unable to keep up with the expansive blaze. The primary cause determined by climate scientists is the particularly warm and dry weather Canada experienced last winter.

Unfortunately, the climate issue stretches far beyond Canada. Aside from record-breaking fires, large tropical storms hit North America. Hurricane Idalia, reaching category 4, made landfall in the Gulf coast of Florida on August 30th, with winds reaching up to 130 mph before hitting land. The most damage was done to the rural town of Perry,  located southeast of Tallahassee. This resulted in flash flooding, damaged power lines, destroyed homes, and blocked roads. The damage costs are estimated to be between twelve and twenty billion dollars. On the other hand, Hurricane Hillary hit the Pacific coast of Mexico and some southwestern states as a category 4 storm, resulting in flash flooding, mudslides, and submerged streets and homes. Due to this location’s dry soil and desert climate, the rainfall did not easily soak into the ground or nearby bodies of water but collected on the streets, preventing transportation. Tropical storms like these are rare in this area, so combatting was especially difficult. National Weather Service meteorologist Richard Thompson stated, “This was the first landfallen tropical storm in Southern California since Sept. 25, 1939”.  Additionally, Hurricane Lee, beginning on September 6, quickly became a category 5 hurricane and hit Bermuda, the northeastern states, and Nova Scotia. At some points, it reached wind speeds of 115 mph. 

Disasters have been recorded in other countries as well. On September 10, 2023, Storm Daniel, developing first in Greece, made its way towards Libya. This heavy rainfall caused two dams to burst, leading to mass destruction and flooding all throughout the city of Derna. A massive amount of infrastructure there has been demolished, leaving thousands dead or separated from their families and belongings. Most deaths are attributed to the dam’s failure rather than the storm itself. It is noted that the city of Derna had received warnings about their dams being weak and at risk of flooding, yet no action appears to have been taken. Nevertheless, it is hard to predict when a dam will give out. Libya also has an unstable government and was not properly warned about the storm. The death toll remains unknown, as the ocean has taken many bodies. At least 5,000 are dead, but around 10,000 are reported missing.   It is too early to determine whether climate change was the root cause of this, but the storm prompting the dams to break is likely attributed to global warming, yet this has not been confirmed.  

Ultimately, this year has brought many devastating effects, many of which stem from increased heat on the Earth. While these are only a few major events that have happened so far, they clearly demonstrate what happens without extensive preparation. As records show, with each decade, natural disasters become more severe and common. Keeping communities safe, especially those without access to many resources, is imperative. Remaining informed on global events is crucial to developing solutions for a better future.